Skies of Arcadia Legends Hacking

Skies of Arcadia related topics

Re: Skies of Arcadia Legends Hacking

Postby Arcadia Brony » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:07 pm

Wow, these are cool. The warship and destroyer were the two models never seen in the North American release outside of cutscenes. Glad to know they weren't overlooked entirely even if they were cut from the finished product.

I'll ask one of my friends if they can translate the Japanese the next time I see them.
Arcadia Brony

Postby Tortigar » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:41 pm

Tortigar

Postby AshidoNova » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:39 pm

Cuckooguy wrote:Valuan Warship
<バルア>
ザコどもをそうとうするの
われら(くちくかん)の。
きさまらは ちょうどいいだ!

<アイカ>
ヴアイスはどうするの?
をおい!

<どうする?>
「きょりをちつつ げきする」
「ろをりにいく」

<ヴァイス>
はとはいえ
ムリはだ。このまま
きょりをちつつげきするぞ!

Valuan Destroyer
<バルア>
いやー やはり しいはいい!
そうこうも のいりょくも
のとは だんちがいだ!

Maybe I'll translate these later.

All of this dialogue is missing kanji, I assume because the kanji table data was not included in the English version. But, I can still translate what's available...

Valuan Warship
<Valua>
Damn small fries... mopping up(?)...
we are a Destroyer class...
You bastards... will do nicely!

<Aika>
What will you do, Vyse?
Hey!

<WAT DO?>
"Take cover from a distance."
"Move in and get behind them."

<Vyse>
BLAH BLAH
IMPOSSIBLE BLAH. AS IT IS
TAKE COVER FROM A DISTANCE!

Valuan Destroyer
<Valua>
Ahh... After all... good!
mop up(?) also... blah
blah blah... on a different level!

Basically it's the same junk the airship battle fodder usually says.
AshidoNova

Postby FinalCataclsym » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:56 am

Oh hey, it's AdNova! I remember seeing your work on Skies AGES ago regarding... enemy data if I recall correctly.

Since we are on the subject of hacking the game's code, there were some things that never were quite answered that I'm sure people would find of great interest. This goes out in general as well as to yourself.

1. What is the natural hit rates for status inflicting magic, S Moves and weapons? Are they different from weapon to weapon, such as Swirlmerang's 100% Confuse if not immune?

2. What is the given formula for determining Critical Hits?

3. What is the given formula for determining Counter attacks? How do the Vengeance Armor and Counter Bracer factor into the equation? I assume that they stack, but the question remains, how?

4. What is the given formula for determining Dodges and how does Hit% factor into it? With high enough Agile, therefore Dodge, is it possible to never be hit past a certain percent based on enemy accuracy?

5. While we generally know that a quicker character will go sooner, what is the variance percent or number for semi randomizing turn order? Does Quika have an effect if all characters have 999 Quick stat?

Those are all things I was curious about regular battles, but I was wondering things about ship battles too.

6. Besides overall attack affecting S Cannons and Main Cannons, Defense/Magic Defense affecting damage taken and Will affecting the Magic Cannon, how or do your other stats affect ship battles?

7. What is the bonus to stats applied by Il and the Hybrid Wax? How long does it last?

8. How does Domingo's Increased Criticals skill function?

9. How is Hit% and Dodge calculated in ship battles? I recall someone saying somewhere that I Quikad ship or a Quick ship was a more accurate ship.

10. In regards to both 6 and 9, would you be able to determine that there would be an optimal set of ship equipment provided all 4 characters you are using have max Power/Vigor/Will/Quick? Add into that too, optimal crew selection not based on preference?

Looking forward to seeing if any of these have answers. I appreciate all the work that has been done on this game. Very cool to see the ships that weren't in the game originally and seeing that they were the ones that contained the Intercom and Expensive Wheel.
FinalCataclsym

Postby Cuckooguy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:26 pm

NERDS!!!

And wait, AshidoNova was ADNova?!! o.o O_O I never made the connection but I knew ADNova had made the SOA Editors! Wow!
Cuckooguy
Site Admin

Postby Delphinus1032 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:02 pm

Awesome!, what i always dreamed about is to engage Valua's trademark ship, the Valuan Gunboat as the Delphinus, it never appeared in battle when you got the Delphinus even though it is seen on cutscenes like on Yafutoma. I would definitely love to know if there is a way to make a ship battle encounter with the Valuan Gunboat as the Delphinus.
Delphinus1032

Postby Delphinus1032 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:47 am

Another thing that i wanted so much to do is fix the nasty bug when engaging the only similar Valuan Gunboat that appears on the world as the Delphinus, Valuan Mage Ship, the bug is that, when in battle, the ship's engine sound that plays is the Little Jack!!! not the Delphinus, the only way that i can think about of fixing it is to copy the Delphinus' sound engine file and rename it as the Little Jack's sound file, of course this has to be done after you got the Delphinus, otherwise imagine the Little Jack with the Delphinus' engine :lol:
Delphinus1032

Postby AshidoNova » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:27 am

Sorry, I'm not ADnova, lol. What a coincidence though, another Skies fan with such a similar name and we're both programmers. I didn't realize either because I'm not particularly active on Skies fan forums (mainly here if anywhere, honestly).

I could help hack and data mine Skies but I don't have the time or interest unfortunately. I study Japanese though so I'm good for some translation. The most I've done, twelve years ago (jesus, it's been that long?) I started working on a simple fan game, but I never finished it. It was a graphic text RPG.

This is unrelated to the topic, but the Dolphin emulator got a big update about a year ago which seems to have fixed the music emulation to be a lot more faithful to the GameCube when playing Legends. It also fixed a lot of shadow/transparency issues. The music quality on Dreamcast is still better of course and Legends still lacks VMU interaction, but this is by far now the definitive way of playing Skies if your PC can handle it. You can even play it in 3D, best with nVidia 3DTV play/vision. http://youtu.be/UCz_TifmpLs
AshidoNova

Postby Delphinus1032 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:20 pm

Greetings, i am very interested at modding Skies of Arcadia Legends, i have the iso US NTSC and when i open the gamecube rebuilder i see folders like: &&SystemData, battle, bchara, beff, ending, field, player.mld, sound, title, ts000899.gvr, etc. I took a look at the battle folder but all files are .dat extension. I wish to know what are the files that contain the enemy ship data and how to make changes, mainly at the items they drop to make it so they drop more often, for example: the Valuan gunboat drops shredder bomb but is very rare. i wish to learn how to modify enemy ship data.
Delphinus1032

Postby Tortigar » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:16 pm

Hey,

my Ruby scripts in post #1 are only working with the PAL iso. Sorry for that. However, I hope I can help you. ;)

All necessary ship battle files are in the /field folder. One ship battle is spread over three files:
  1. a###a.mld
  2. r###a.tec
  3. me###a.sct
Replace the number sign with an ID >= 500. Numbers under 500 are normal map and/or cutscene files. To swap the files you must know the correct map ID - just trial and error. ^^ The Dolphin emulator has a really powerful file monitor to log which file has been loaded.
  1. Enable View → Show Log and View → Show Log Configuration.
  2. In the tab Log Configuration set the Verbosity to Warning.
  3. In the tab Log Configuration enable only File Monitor.
The ship data is stored in the compiled &&systemdata/Start.dol. At the moment, I don't know the exact start offset in the NTSC-U iso. However, the address in the PAL version is between 0x2f6d14 and 0x2f7f5c.
Tortigar

PreviousNext

Return to Skies of Arcadia